Beans have got to be one of the most underrated and undervalued foods at the grocery store. In fact, these small legumes are packed with so many nutrients and antioxidants, that they should be far from neglected. So, let’s learn seven reasons why you should pick beans!
7 Reasons to Eat Beans
1. They are PACKED with protein. To start, beans are a high-protein solution that is used to help build and repair tissues in your body, as well as balance out your enzymes, hormones, and other chemicals. Especially if you choose not to eat meat, beans are a great alternative to provide the protein you are missing from skipping out on meat. (They’re vegan, if you didn’t already know).
2. They help balance out your blood sugar. Beans have a low glycemic index, meaning that your body digests them slower, helping to keep your blood glucose stable instead of spiking. This helps you feel more alert and content throughout the day.
BEANS ARE LOADED WITH FIBER
3. Beans are loaded with FIBER. We all need fiber, and we can’t deny that. Beans are a great choice for a food rich in fiber, especially for those who are gluten-free.
4. They are versatile! Beans can be your new “best friend” when it comes to cooking a meal or snacking. They go with nearly everything, whether that is in a chili, a cold side dish, a casserole, etc. The recipes are endless.
5. Beans help lower cancer risk. Eating beans will help promote a healthier diet and lower your risk for several diseases, including cancer. Beans contain no cholesterol to their core and little to no fat. How great is that?
6. They are filled with nutrients. Another benefit of beans is that they are loaded with vitamins and minerals that our body needs to stay healthy and happy. Some nutrients they include are magnesium, zinc, potassium, and iron. Many of us are not getting the proper antioxidants in our daily meals, but beans can help with this.
7. Beans will satisfy you. Beans are metabolized at a much slower rate than other foods, helping you feel fuller longer. This will help in weight loss because you will not be reaching for that extra snack throughout the day.