Superfood? It goes without saying that we’re pretty obsessed with amaranth. Aside from its rich history and ancient origins, it’s a magical ingredient that is healthier than you can probably imagine. Here are 15 reasons why amaranth is a great superfood.
Amaranth is a protein powerhouse
making it a great plant-based protein source for vegan and vegetarian diets.
- Amaranth is a protein powerhouse making it a great plant-based protein source for vegan and vegetarian diets.
- It might help you stay forever young. Kind of. Amaranth oil or extract is often used in anti-wrinkle serums.
- Amaranth reduces cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Amaranth contains all the essential amino acids, even lysine, which wheat and barley can’t hold a candle to that. superfood
- Squalene, a fatty acid found in amaranth, is known for doing some amazing things like slowing tumor growth.
- Amaranth is a mineral rich food containing: iron, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, and manganese.
- Vitamins too! Amaranth has vitamin A, K, B6, C, riboflavin, and folate.
- Amaranth is even considered beneficial for limiting the effects of conditions like hypertension.
- It has absolutely no gluten, making it a friendly grain to those with intolerances, allergies, or celiac disease.
- Some additional benefits of amaranth include helping memory and learning due to the amino acid, lysine.
- Amaranth oil helps treat diabetes.
- It helps combat osteoporosis and anemia.
- Amaranth is even known to help cardiovascular conditions and heart disease.
- Sometimes the secret to lightened foods like light mayonnaise and dressings is amaranth extract.
- It’s easy on the stomach. Amaranth is easily absorbed by the body making it a good option for those who might be sick or elderly.