This recipe will get you in the mood for one healthy home made dinner. For this chilli beans recipie you can use any legume you want; chickpeas, lentils, kidney beans, etc. All of them are an excellent plant source of protein.
A Legume is a flowering plant that has edible fruits or seeds, which refers to all sorts of beans and pulses. What they all share is that they are rich in protein and fiber, and as a high-protein ingredient, they are a great alternative to meat.
- 1 whole chicken
- 3 ripe plum tomatoes
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 dried chipotle chillies
- 4 dried guajillo chillies
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4 whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 100 ml cider vinager
- 2 limes
- 1 white onion
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 fresh jalapeño chillies
- Olive oil
- 2-3 fresh bay leaves
- 2 ripe tomatoes
- 2 x 400 g tins pinto beans
- 6 sprigs of fresh coriander
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F
2. To prepare the adobo-style recado, place the tomatoes in a roasting tray with the unpeeled garlic cloves and roast until soft.
3. Put in a plate and allow cooling, and then removing the garlic skins.
4. Place the chipotle, guajillo and ancho chillies in a plate. Pour over boiling water and cover them and leave them soaking for 15 minutes. Drain the chillies.
5. Place the chillies, garlic, tomatoes, oregano, allspice, whole cloves, cumin seeds, ground cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of sea salt and some black pepper in a food processor and blend to a paste.
6. Add the vinegar and lime and blitz again.
7. Place the chicken in the marinade and leave for 3 to 4 hours.
8. Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and bring it to room temperature.
9. Cook the chicken, turning once, for 15 to 20 minutes on each side, occasionally adding some more marinade.
10. Transfer to a board, loosely cover with foil and leave it to rest for a few minutes.
Chilli beans time!
11. To make the chilli beans, peel and thinly slice the onion and garlic. Cut the jalapeño chillies.
12. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add the onion, garlic, chillies and bay leaves and cook for 5 minutes.
13. Peel and chop the tomatoes, then add to the pan with the beans. Stir well, season with salt and black pepperb.
14. Stir again, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes while the chicken is cooking. Chop and stir in the coriander leaves and remove the beans from the heat.
15. Transfer the chicken to a board.
16. Serve with the chilli beans.
While the family waits for their chilli beans diner, serve our BeanVivo Jalapeño + Avocado as appetizer. Serve it with the some chips and let your guests enjoy of such a yummy Mexican high-protein dinner.